Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Incarceration Blues...Part III

Ok! So I'm a little late with this one, but only because I was apartment hunting for grad school. I've been doing a lot of heavy writing lately so today I thought I'd change it up. I first saw this video in a class, and it brought me to tears. This focuses on the female/motherhood experience while incarcerated as well as some information about the alternative options few facilities offer for mothers and their children. Enjoy:


What are some of your opinions on the issue? Commentplease&thankyou!

2 comments:

  1. I had body-wide chills the entire time and absolutely no words. I wish we'd (as in America) do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this reflects a conception of justice that hasn't advanced since Dante's Inferno. The purpose of prison is - or should be, at least - a means of removing a person from an environment where they can harm others, but I think our justice system sees its primary function as punishment. Our "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" mentality is the same degree of moral reasoning possessed by a toddler. Not that it isn't true. It's just that there are some things more important, like NOT increasing the chances that the children of these women are gonna end up in the same place. The first priority of the justice system should be intervention to prevent a situation from getting worse - not settling a score with a criminal at the expense of others.

    Thank you for posting this because not only didn't I know most of that, it never even occurred to me to think about it.

    ReplyDelete