Friday, January 14, 2011

Colorism



After reading this post from Feministing today, it reminded me of a veeeeerrrry good Tyra episode. I'm not always a fan of Tyra or the way that she approaches different issues, but I do appreciate that she sheds even a small amount of light on difficult issues. Many of these issues or experiences are ones that folks want to learn more about, to understand. But, sometimes it's difficult to voice experiences. And sometimes, you don't feel like teaching a lesson on your oppression. I totally understand, but at the same time I wan't people to know where I'm coming from so they don't have to ask anymore! It's totally a Catch-22.

Colorism and racial ambiguity are topics I've written about quite a bit, but it always makes happy that after I watch something I can say "yeah, that's EXACTLY what happens to me too." Well except for the fact that I actually LOVE all of my ethnicities haha...I'm more so talking about the segment around 16:10...So learn a lil something, and check out this piece on colorism!



Oppression Olympics. Thoughts, reactions, questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment