Monday, December 13, 2010

The Pop/Rock Princess is Back...

...making a splash with another feminist hit.

I don't know about the rest of you out there in the blogosphere but I've had my eye on P!nk and her music for quite some time now. I'll admit, though, that while I had listened to her music with a sort of blind faith for years, it was her song and music video combination "Stupid Girls" in 2006 that really put her on the radar for me.

And now, nearly half a decade later, she's at it again, taking a stand beside the little guys (and girls) in favor  all around equality. If you haven't already seen her latest and greatest take a look:



Now I mean, come on, how can you not love her? Or at least commend her for getting out there and making people listen. In three and a half minutes alone, the woman speaks out for body image, gay marriage, diversity and multi-culturalism, animal liberation, just being different, and makes several other points as well.

It almost makes you want to question: Is there a limit to how many causes an individual can take on and support as their own? What about me? P!nk shows us that empathy is limitless (and for this she is more than just your average feminist!).

When I had first seen this video, I must say, that it took a little while for me to fully process all the images, all the causes and what they meant to me as a whole. Some images made me instantaneously smile:


while others had initially shocked me:


(It was only later, after a little internet surfing, that I had come to understand that the statement being made above was meant to go along with the arguments of the Animal Liberation Front, who fight against what is known as "speciesism" and that P!nk herself is very much an animal rights activist.)

In response to her song P!nk had stated that she had long wanted to write something for the underdogs. And as I watched the video a few times more, I figured, what's a better way to do just that than by bringing together all groups that have experienced marginalization to explore their beauty (and also cry out against their mistreatment)? I approve.

And as far as the shock factor in her videos goes, I say, why not? Some times it takes the extraordinary to grab the people's attention.



What about you people? What do you think about P!nk's "Raise Your Glass" video? Has your attention been grabbed? Any favorite parts? Anything that caught you by surprise?
Comment and share in the conversation!



(**Disclaimer: screenshots are from the actual video and do not belong to me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment