Monday, December 20, 2010

Racial Segregation: Brought to you by the New York Times

The New York Times recently released an amazing map that uses US Census data to depict ethnic breakdowns across the country. It's rather neat...and totally disturbing to find out just how segregated a lot of places still are. Check out this screen shot of NYC:


I wonder what this map would have looked like before Giuliani? All I can think about when I see this map is his campaign, what many still call a successful campaign, to clean up New York. People tell me that the Times Square area used to be a cheap place to live. Have you been there lately? Gentrification at it's finest. Does clean up=get more white people to move here? This map can mostly be explained with housing costs, but I wonder how much of the map is plain old comfortability. I also wonder how the quality of K-12 education differs as the colors of the dots change?

No comments:

Post a Comment