Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Say hello to Jess!


Hello everyone! My name is Jessica and I am a student, intersectional feminist, privilege caller-outer, and real language finicker. I am graduating in May with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and Social Science (Women's/Gender Studies), and want to make a career out of learning to facilitate conversations around social justice issues. I am honored to be blogging here with the opportunity to work with such awesome people.

Feminism is the lens through which I try to understand the world around me, and my place in it as a complex human being. I make an effort to understand myself in different ways as both oppressed AND an oppressor; it was Paulo Freire who said that in the act of oppressing others we lose our own humanity. So while I am exploring my own and learning about others' identities, I do (frequently) stumble over my own privilege. I blog about the ways that different personal and social identities, and relationships between groups of people, are influenced by systems and dominant ideas of power. I love activism, and I love teaching and organizing and writing as a form of protest!! I am excited to be here.

"Feminism directly confronts the idea that one person or set of people [has] the right to impose definitions of reality on others." -Liz Stanley and Sue Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment