Saturday, June 18, 2011

"Glitter Bombs" for Equality?

First it was Newt Gingrich...


Then it was Pawlenty...


And TODAY, Michelle Bachman became the latest receiver of the glitter shower.


The glitterings seem to only be related in the sense that the first incident inspired other individuals to act independently, but the latest video of the glittering calls for people everywhere to join the "glitterati movement." While the first person to throw glitter was not involved with GetEqual, the organization is now asking for others to "Get Equal" with glitter. 

I literally can't decide how I feel about throwing glitter on politicians. A part of me thinks it's hilarious and harmless and bringing much needed attention to some anti-queer happenings, but another part of me can't help but feel that it will ultimately hurt queer political efforts. Some folks are calling the glitter showers "glitter bombs" and categorizing them as assaults.

The latest glitter protester explains the reasons behind her actions:


How do you feel about it?

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of divided on the issue as well, but I'm going to tentatively say I think it's a good idea. My misgivings about it are similar to yours, but ultimately I think it's still a good thing.

    Basically, no matter what queer rights activists do to advocate for the cause, people will always use hyperbolic, overblown rhetoric to portray this movement as an attack on SOMEBODY. It's the same stale bullshit we see in politics every day. Either we're eroding moral values or pushing an "agenda" on "real Americans" or whatever crap they can throw at us.

    Realistically speaking, it seems to me that the worst crime queer rights supporters can commit is existing. I feel like everything else we do is simply details. We'll be drawing their fire for whatever we do, so why not do something outrageous, harmless, and fun? Since traditional avenues of political expression don't always work, we'd be remiss if we didn't think outside of the box. How better to send a nontraditional message?

    And honestly, it's kind of ridiculous that a big outcry would be made about this. I mean, they support policies that can ruin people's lives through marginalization and dehumanization, and what do we do?
    ... We throw glitter on them. I think they can get over it.

    ReplyDelete