Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What's the difference between Obama and Palin...

Obama knows that a tragedy is a tragedy and that the focus of any public statements should focus on the victims, the survivors, and healing. Check out his BEAUTIFUL address.


Now check out Sarah Palin's response:





I'm paraphrasing but what I heard was "Keep on being angry America, that's the only way the Republicans will win the presidency in 2012. Don't let this hateful act by a terrorist...I'm sorry...individual criminal stop you from voicing your opinion (as long as you are conservative of course. And you big old mean media monster you, don't make this 'blood libel' in my name."

Definition of Blood Libel: "refers to a false accusation or claim that religious minorities, usually Jews, murder children to use their blood in certain aspects of their religious rituals and holidays. The accusations often assert that the blood of Christian children is especially coveted, and, historically, blood libel claims have been made to account for otherwise unexplained deaths of children."

Great choice of words Palin.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the memorial service and greatly appreciated Obama's solemnity and respect. Overall a fine speech.

    Something that I'm not sure has been mentioned much yet - Palin's comments about "both sides" and one party "and the other" in reference to Democrat and Republican as though only these two parties exist and will persist. I know that these two parties dominate the American political scene, but strict allegiance not only to specific parties but to language that seems to restrict our political options to two choices rather concerns me.

    Her statements as to the actions of "one evil man" also open a whole can of worms for me, particularly in light of my Christian faith - personal and communal actions, salvation, forgiveness. Much to think about.

    Thanks for the post, Zaneta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment! I often struggle with getting out of the D-R binary myself. It's annoying, and I hope to be more conscious of it!

    And the whole "one evil man" is also very trying for me. Not so much on a personal spiritual level but because when ever a person of the Islamic faith is implicated in a similar crime, their actions speak for their entire culture. But this person, his faith I do not know(probably because no one has really brought it up), is immediately thought of as an individual criminal. It's just very interesting how the news coverage is distinctly different.

    ReplyDelete