Thursday, September 2, 2010

One more beer commercial!...ok two more...

Thank you to Kevin for bringing the next commercial to my attention:



So you probably have some mixed reactions to this video. You may be saying to yourself that he got what he deserved. But Kevin has a different take on things that I tend to agree with:

"All women can do is say "No! Bad man!" when they catch them in the act like a dog chewing on a shoe. Kind of reinforces the "just don't get caught" mentality that we've already got embedded in us. So it ends with a gesture of "Hey, I saw that!" instead of how it's disrespectful to the woman in the chair and undermines her function as a person in a relationship instead of just a body."

Well said! But how about when the roles are reversed?



What are your reactions to seeing the two videos back-to-back?

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen that one before, and I actually feel a little better about it knowing there's a counterpart. Though what I said still stands, and now applies to both genders equally (ugh, I can't figure out if that's good or bad in this situation), I think it makes it seem more like it's those two people specifically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its true, it applies to both genders. Why should the woman get caught and is able to get away with it? If they wanted to preach any sort of equality, she should have been sprayed with beer, or got the lime in her eye. The fact that she got away with it is not something I feel is very equal at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess, but I hardly see getting squirted with lime juice as not getting away with it. I mean, I guess she "won" but my problem with the first one was that the lime thing was all she did. I think a more appropriate response (for either of them) would be to go "Hey WTF!? What, I'm not hot enough for you? Enjoy using your hand, asshole." Okay, maybe not like that. But there should be some talking it out that would make for a really bad commercial.

    But instead of gender inequality I think my problem is the portrayal of relationships as a competition, and honestly the only reason it bugs me isn't the commercial itself, but that it's SO EASILY portrayed, because it's pretty much taken for granted. I mean, the reason that most married couples go to relationship therapy is literally because both of them think the therapist is gonna be on their side and prove them right. So yeah, in this case the woman "won" and in another case the man might, but it isn't who wins, but that anyone is in a position to either win or lose, that pisses me off.

    But like I said, I've cooled down since I thought it was just the first commercial, because it really kind of makes just the two of them look like a pair of dumbasses.

    ReplyDelete